‘One Week Away’ Mock Draft
We’re only a week away from the real deal, so time to get those last minute mock drafts in. While this isn’t the FINAL mock draft I (or any other DB staff writer) will be posting, it’s another conversation piece to discuss some alternate ideas for your favorite team’s selections.
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck – QB – Stanford
The Colts go with Luck to rebuild their franchise.
2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III – QB – Baylor
No surprises here.
3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil – LT – Southern Cal
The Vikings will do what they can to trade down, but Kalil is their guy.
4. Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson – RB – Alabama
Offensive weapons are badly needed and you have to be able to run the ball in the AFCN.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne – CB – LSU
With so many questions surrounding Aquib Talib, they’re desperate for talent in the secondary.
6. St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon – WR – Oklahoma State
Rams will also try to trade back but they can’t pass up on an ultimate weapon for Bradford.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Michael Floyd – WR – Notre Dame
While pass rush is a huge need, the Jags always take the guy they like the most. Floyd is a much needed receiver for their young QB.
8. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill – QB – Texas A&M
I just don’t see how Miami can come out of the first round of this draft without Tannehill.
9. Carolina Panthers: Fletcher Cox – DT – Mississippi State
Panthers need help stopping the run and Cox is a force in the middle.
10. Buffalo Bills: Riley Reiff – OT – Iowa
Would love to get a receiver here but Reiff is a solid plug-and-play tackle that can protect their investment in Fitzpatrick.
11. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Kuechly – ILB – Boston College
KC needs someone in the middle that can cover and stop the run. Kuechly will perform at a high level for a long time.
12. Seattle Seahawks: Quinton Coples – DE – North Carolina
I don’t buy that the Seahawks will trade up for Tannehill but stranger things have happened. Pass rush is a major need though.
13. Arizona Cardinals: Melvin Ingram – DE/OLB – South Carolina
Cards need some help along the offensive line but they need production out of their pass rush.
14. Dallas Cowboys: Mark Barron – S – Alabama
I have a feeling the Jets or another team will make a move to get Barron but the Cowboys won’t pass him up if he’s available.
15. Philadelphia Eagles: Courtney Upshaw – DE/OLB – Alabama
Eagles pass rush leaves a lot to be desired. They could also look at a DT here.
16. New York Jets: Whitney Mercilus – DE/OLB – Illinois
If they don’t move up to get Barron, Mercilus provides a solid outside rush but can also anchor against the run. They could also look WR here.
17. Cincinnati Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick – CB – Alabama
CB is probably the biggest need for the Bengals and they’re more than happy to snag Kirkpatrick here.
18. San Diego Chargers: David DeCastro – OG – Stanford
Pass rush has been poor but they also need some help along the offensive line.
19. Chicago Bears: Cordy Glenn – OG – Georgia
The only way the Bears can win is if Cutler stays upright and Forte can find some holes. Glenn will help with both.
20. Tennessee Titans: Stephon Gilmore – CB – South Carolina
Much needed replacement for Finnegan, especially when someone has to cover Andre Johnson twice a year.
21. Cincinnati Bengals: Peter Konz – C/OG – Wisconsin
Konz can immediately play OG for the Bengals and might be a long term solution at center.
22. Cleveland Browns: Kendall Wright – WR – Baylor
More offensive weapons. It’s make or break time for Colt McCoy.
23. Detroit Lions: Janoris Jenkins – CB – North Alabama
Possible character concerns but that hasn’t scared the Lions off before. Their secondary needs an upgrade.
24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dontari Poe – DT – Memphis
Versatile, agile and big. Will be able to play several spots for the Steelers and might be the long term replacement for Hampton.
25. Denver Broncos: Jerel Worthy – DT – Michigan State
The Broncos have to get better against the run and that starts in the middle.
26. Houston Texans: Rueben Randle – WR – LSU
Randle is the perfect compliment to Andre Johnson. Better grab Matt Schaub in your fantasy league.
27. New England Patriots: Nick Perry – DE/OLB – USC
Losing Anderson hurts their pass rush but Perry will be a solid replacement.
28. Green Bay Packers: Shea McClellin – DE/OLB – Boise State
Lunch pail type player that is the perfect match for Clay Matthews and the Packers defense.
29. Baltimore Ravens: Dont’a Hightower – ILB – Alabama
I’m not even sure the Ravens will take Konz if he’s available here. Newsome will probably trade back but Hightower is hard to pass up.
30. San Francisco 49ers: Kevin Zeitler – OG – Wisconsin
Another mauler added to the Niners front line that will help Alex Smith even more.
31. New England Patriots: Doug Martin – RB – Boise State
Patriots have done well with relative ‘no-names’ at RB, but Martin is versatile and a nice fit in the Patriots offense.
32. New York Giants: Coby Fleener – TE – Stanford
Adding Keith Rivers helps the linebacker corp but Fleener would be a nice weapon for Manning. Don’t be surprised to see another defensive lineman here, either.